I played the guitar last night and it kind of, sort of, almost sounded like I knew what I was doing. The strumming patterns have me a little perplexed as I am so focused on pressing my fingers down hard enough on the strings to make sure I get the right chord sound. My calluses are getting there. Wow, doesn't that sound sexy? My calluses are getting there... whoa! But, they are and I'm relieved that the skinny thin string at the bottom of the guitar is no longer causing me to wince every time I push down on it. (Note to self... find out what note that skinny thin string at the bottom of the guitar is called so I don't continue to sounds like an asshole). I think it's an E, but I'm not sure. At any rate, that's the worst of the strings and that's the one that needs to be pressed down for the G chord and D chord... and those are used most often- at least in the TWO songs I know. (Note to self... buy a chord book and learn more chords and more songs).
So, I haven't felt the total immersion in my own creativity in a long time. Not since my days of playing piano have I sat for extended periods of time and worked out music to songs I love. I used to sit in front of the piano for hours... and I do mean hours. And by the end, I would have figured out a George Winston song or something. Immersing myself in singing, as I do fairly regularly, has a different reward. That's something I know. It's something that I have, to my own satisfaction, mastered. But learning an instrument is exciting and different. I love the ritual of practicing; unzipping the guitar from the case, tuning it, strumming through the chords I've already learned and trying to remember fingering for new ones I haven't totally figured out. Each time, it sounds just a little bit better. Not great, but better. As with anything in life, consistency and time equals success. Small steps. But, the even greater feeling is the experience where every other thought, worry or concern is completely wiped from my brain. It was a similar experience with the piano. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING else mattered or clouded my thoughts. When I practice the guitar, the music and figuring it all out is my singular focus and it is so freeing! As someone who doesn't meditate, it's the closest thing to meditation that I can think of.
I thank God for music and it's power to bring my soul total happiness. It has saved my life, quite literally. It has brought me joy, camaraderie and friendship. It is one of the things in my life that makes me whole, when I feel broken. I am very thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment